Thursday 22 January 2009

Leadership - major factor in progress

When we look at underperforming organisations there is a myriad of them. I will not name any here, however what I will say is that a common denominator in these organisations is poor leadership. I have spent many years meeting and analysing leaders and what I can truly say- the best leaders often offer leadership styles that are progressive and motivational in whichever context of organisation. I choose to name just two leaders I am extremely impressed with. I class them as strong business associates and professional friends. The first is Chris Edwards, the chief executive of Education Leeds. Chris has got a wonderful style of management that appears to be non- operational but actually is very much so. He is a visionary, promoting strong leadership and he avidly supports his managers in their improvement endeavours. He is nationally influencial in the UK as well as nationally recognised as the leader of one of Britains top public service management teams. His days are spent at schools, in meetings and operational situatuions and allows focus on meeting his people, his managers, teachers and students.
The other leader that I see as outstanding is Palle Lundberg, the chief executive of Botkyrka kommun in Sweden. He is such a clear taget setter as well as motivator and leader with an approach I beleive is unique in that he promotes organisational change in a very modern way in a challenging service provision environment. This executive has a paperless office and is out in the operation most of his time

No comments: