Thursday 30 July 2009

Mentor, mentor, mentor

I would strongly recommend to anyone who has the skills and experience to mentor these to any person who needs support and guidance. The reasons are obvious but I recently had a very positive and rewarding experience. One of the two Human Resource professionals I am mentoring in Australia had a dilemma for which he sought my advice. It was not a simple issue as it was an industrial dispute with a union based on a very shaky premise in a collective agreement. Interestingly I had a similar issue as an HR manager some 20 years ago and manged to solve it so I advised Tony to follow the same path. At first he thought it would not work- I said to go ahead and choose what he saw fit. After a while he took my advice and did as I first suggested. He succeeded! The reward for me is so obvious- he weighed up my advice against his own thoughts and realised that I had succeeded in the past and followed that. It gives great satisfaction to know some knowledge from my experience can still work.

No comments: